I think we might've caught the fever... the Tiger fever, that is.
We attended our first Mizzou football game and although it was hotter than a firecracker, I think we might be hooked. We are hoping to go back this weekend. :)
Kick-off was scheduled for 11:00. Jim, Russ' brother, was coming to Columbia to go to the game with us and to also stay the night. He got here around 9:00 and we headed towards the stadium. As we got closer, we realized that 9:30ish wasn't early enough for parking. We walked almost 2 miles along a main 4-lane street. I couldn't believe it. I was kind of nervous about walking so far with the boys on such a busy street, but thanks to Russ and Jim we made it safely.
This picture is just a glimpse of the cars lining the street...
I really like these next two pictures...
Getting closer...
Almost to the gate...
Finally in our seats.
It was so neat... and SO HOT!
There were wet sweaty people everywhere. Literally.
We knew it was going to be warm, but the sun was literally shining straight down onto our heads... the 11:00 AM sun was in full attendance at the Mizzou game! Gold? You got it... sunshine and all!
Warming up...
I've seen Tennessee Volunteer Orange in many different articles of clothing, but I'm pretty sure I've never seen anything like this... hope he didn't mind me taking his picture! :)
The Marching Band... Lawson says those three words very plainly with great excitement! He was very happy to see "The Marching Band"!!!
As I was passing out snacks, I realized we were eating "Gold"fish... "Gold", get it? I know, so cheesy. Literally. :)
I heard it was 123 degrees on the field... whew!
The boys...
Lawson is covering his ears because they shot a canon when the Tigers scored and it was loud and scared him. And I would like to mention that many around us were commenting on the boys' behavior. I hadn't really given it much thought, but they really were soooo good! Neither of them ever even whined {and I was almost ready to whine myself}.
Can you tell it is hot?!
This picture was taken because Emmitt took his shoes off. It was hot and I thought it would help keep him cool if they were off, not to mention barefoot is how he rolls. I downloaded it and had planned to crop it, only to realize that it was kind of a cool pic.
MIZZOU boldly on his gold t-shirt, sock-feet Emmitt, flip-flop mama, and juice boxes...
And... we left at half-time. It was just too hot. Russ left ahead of us to go get the van. He spared us the 2 mile walk and met us not far from the gate. Jim stayed with me and the boys in the sweltering sun until he called to say he was headed back to pick us up. We decided to go and wait under the bleachers just to get out of the sun. We made our way to the shade only to see a lady pass out and others obviously sick. We fell right into the droves of people leaving the game. We hated to leave, but it wasn't worth it, esp for the boys.
We got home and Emmitt took a nap while Lawson played soccer football. He is setting the ball on the book and kicking it. He did this many times before realizing he could "play" football with his real football... Russ and Jim patiently played with him, throwing and catching the football 100 times that day, at least.
Our only other problem has been tackling. He is very good at it and it is so easy to tackle his little brother, but it lands him in time-out every single time. He'll learn.
Uncle Jim's visit earned him some good bonding time with the boys. Emmitt, specifically, warmed up to him and was so sweet.
Lastly, we finished the day with a storm and a fish fry. Russ spent four days in Canada on a fishing trip with work and brought back dinner. We fried the fish along with hush puppies, and french fries. It was a greasy spoon of a meal, but oh, so good!
I'm hoping he will post the memories from his trip; the pictures are beautiful!
And with the storm brought cool temperatures... about eight hours too late for the football game!
That's all for now... Uncle Jim, it was a great time having you here with us! And Tigers, we are hoping to see you win again this weekend!
We are taking both boys to the Titans game next weekend. Jack has been to a UTM game and a Titans game, but this will be a first for Marshall, so we'll see how he does. I laughed at Lawson tackling Emmitt. Just yesterday when I picked the boys up from the sitter, they were outside playing football with her son. Every time Marshall had the football, Jack would tackle him. Every. Single. Time. Luckily, Marshall is getting old enough to fight back.
ReplyDeleteSo glad you guys are enjoying my tigers!! There really isn't anything like Tiger GameDay! :-) Don't feel bad about leaving early, I can't count how many times I have left a game early....you have to do what you have to do! :-) And as to the parking, that is exactly the way it is every home game. If you want to pay somewhere around $20, you can usually find parking in a garage close by but you have to get there early as well. But, getting out is a huge pain! (You probably get out quicker by walking the 2 miles than parking close by.) If you ever get a chance to read about some of the Mizzou/Football history, you definitely should. (Ex: Homecoming started at Mizzou, the giant "M" in the endzone, etc) It is really interesting and Mizzou is full of traditions. Definitely check out the homecoming festivities, especially house decs that are put on by the sororities and fraternities the friday before homecoming....the boys will LOVE it! Anyway, can't wait to see you guys in a couple weeks, you have no idea how excited I am that you are able to make it.....it totally made my day!!! (I really just wanted to send you an invite because I couldn't leave you out; never thought you'd really be able to make it with moving and being a couple hours away and such......) OK, better go.....love all the recent posts and pictures.....your babies are turning in to such big boys!!! :-) Talk to you soon!!!
ReplyDelete