The Bragg Family Blog

The Bragg Family Blog

Monday, April 18, 2011

Freddie & Sport

Two weeks ago tomorrow, Lawson proposed to us that we go and get a fish from the pet store.  And guess what?  His daddy, with such a soft heart, said, "sure!"... I was not so "soft" and wasn't very excited.  I honestly hoped we would go LOOK and not buy.

You see, there is a pet store next door to our dry cleaners and EVERY time we go Lawson asks to go to the pet store because he, "really, really wants a pet, please, oh, please".  And every time we tell him that he's not old enough for a pet.  The last time we were there he saw a fish tank in the window and Russ told him that a fish would be a great pet for him.  Did I mention he has the memory of an elephant?  Seriously, he does.  He hadn't forgotten dad's comment regarding a fish.

So... we went to the dry cleaners AND the pet store which smelled really bad.  Their fish were beautiful, but weren't the kind of fish fit for a toddler... $50 and higher was not what we needed.

We were off to Wal-Mart.  How pitiful was their fish department... only one aquarium with fish and they were very small and sad looking.  Now what?  His daddy told him he could get one tonight.  :)

Our last try was Petco.  Petco was perfect!  The sweet girl who obviously loved her job was extremely helpful and very knowledgeable about fish.  Russ was very upfront with her and told her that we needed a hardy, low-maintenance fish that required little attention.  She immediately fixed us up with a pretty Betta fish... along with an aquarium, rocks, a plant, food, and water treatment solution.  We were set... $60 later.  Oh, my.

Anyway, Freddie joined our household and Lawson was soooo happy!!  His excitement was priceless - I had forgotten about the $60 once we were at home.  

Here are the pictures from the big night of welcoming Freddie!


 Lawson helping Dad wash the rocks for Freddie's aquarium.




Introducing FREDDIE!!!


Isn't he a pretty fish?  Lawson said his "feathers" (fins) are very pretty.

Here are Dad and Lawson admiring Freddie...  His tank was placed in Lawson's room on his desk.  It truly is a perfect spot!



And sadly enough, Freddie's story ends about 24 hours from the time this picture was taken.  : (  Poor Freddie... he got his beautiful "feathers" (fin) stuck in the filter and he went to sleep. 

I wasn't quite sure how to handle this situation... and Russ was out of town.  I finally got Freddie disconnected from the filter and then realized what was going to happen.  I then explained that Freddie got hurt and that he was going to take a nap on the rocks and that he would feel better soon.  Lawson then asked if he was going to the doctor for a shot.  I said, "Yes!"  Great idea... I called the "fish doctor" at Petco and asked him what to do about Freddie.  I had two options... (by the way, Freddie cost $3.99) Option #1: come to the store and purchase a medicine to rejuvenate him that would cost more than twice what he did.  Option #2: place him back in his container, bring him in, and pick out a new "chubbier" fish. 

I am sure you can guess what we did.  Option #2. 

My next thought... how are we going to "return" Freddie???

I explained what the "fish doctor" said about Freddie and told him that we could take him to the store and the fish doctor would look at him to see if he needs some medicine.  He was satisfied with that plan and life went on.

The next morning on the way to swim lessons, Lawson says this to me... out of the blue with no prompting... "Hey mom, I want a new fish because Freddie is sick.  I want to take him to the fish doctor so he can get better and then another boy and girl can take him home.  I want a new fish.  A new red fish named Sport."

It was a done deal.  I placed some water in Freddie's bowl from Petco and dropped him in as Lawson told him he would be ok because we were going to take him to the doctor.  Placed his bowl in a brown paper lunch sack and we were on our way.

We got to Petco with Freddie and I introduced myself to the manager whom I had spoken with on the phone, and I then went on to tell him how happy we were that he was going to take good care of Freddie.  Lawson then instructed him to give him to another boy or girl because he was getting a new red fish named Sport.  The manager, whom I'm pretty sure thought I was crazy, went along with it and we got a new red fish named Sport.

$10.00 later we introduce...

SPORT!!!

A chubbier red male Betta fish...


Lawson is very happy with Sport and so are we.


I must say that I like him and that I think it's cool that our boys have a fish.  And I will also admit that I have been surprised by the enjoyment that he has brought them.

Lawson talks to him all the time and watches him do his "cool tricks" as he goes to sleep.  He even stood up in the chair to show him his new shoes before leaving for school one morning.  He also tells him not to worry that his mom will take care of him.  Isn't that sweet?

Emmitt also likes Sport.  He screams and makes funny noises while shaking his arms if the aquarium is in his sight.  The closer we get to Sport the wilder he gets and begins "saying hi" to him by waving frantically.  It really is cute.

I am hopeful that Sport will be with us for a long time and will continue to make our boys happy.  :)

Rest in peace, Freddie... You will always be our first pet. 

1 comment:

Thanks for the comment... I love hearing from you!