The Bragg Family Blog

The Bragg Family Blog

Saturday, May 19, 2012

Emmitt is TWO

Three weeks ago today, our baby brother turned two.  

It is still a little hard to believe that it's been two years since we welcomed this little bundle into the world. 

Emmitt was born on the afternoon of April 28, 2010. 
Here he is just a few minutes old...



And then on his 1st Birthday...
April 28, 2011


And... Happy 2nd Birthday, Emmitt!
April 28, 2012



Dear Emmitt,

Your Daddy and I are so happy you are two years old.  You are getting so big and are so much fun.  We are really beginning to figure you out, and I look forward to better understanding you in the coming weeks, but for now, here are the 2-year-old-forget-me-not's.

Talking.  You have been slower to talk, and suddenly you are repeating everything we say.  You are well over 125 words as of today.  {Yes, I did count} You call your big brother "Gaw", me "mama", and you say "daddy".  Your other words are becoming clearer each day and we are beginning to understand just about all that you are trying to tell us.  You are no longer using your baby signs.

Playing.  You love to play.  You will sit in the floor and contently play with your tractors, trailers, trucks, trains, etc. for long periods of time.  You love to use the recliner {in the "up" position} as your barn.  You prefer tractors and trucks with trailers, but truly enjoy playing with any of them.  You can identify John Deere, which you say "Hon Heere". :)  It is very cute.  Unfortunately, you are not a fan of sharing... not at all.  Much work to do in the sharing area.

Observant.  You are a very observant child.  You can spot a tractor, trailer, boat, camper, horse, cow, hay bale, barn, dump truck, school bus, choo-choo, or the such over a mile away.  It blows our minds.  You also have a high level of intuition, to name a few... getting a tissue for someone when they sneeze.  Or moving the toys out of Granny's way when you notice her getting ready to get her walker.  Or running to get a towel from the kitchen when Granny's water spills.  You do these things without any one telling you and it always causes us to shake our heads and smile... and you are SO proud to help.  

Eating.  You are a pretty good eater.  A few of your faves... chicken and fish, prepared anyway... hot dogs, ham, steak, turkey, bacon, sausage... cheese, yogurt, green beans, corn, corn on the cob, asparagus, peas, okra, mac & cheese, bananas, grapes, cuties, sausage balls, pizza, french fries & tater tots, pickles, ice cream (a new FAVE), Cheez-its, goldfish, pretzel sticks, bugles, fruit snacks, popcorn, chips with dip or salsa.  You still refuse to drink milk, but will drink strawberry banana smoothies, and juice.  You are a grazer when you eat; it seems to be nearly impossible to keep you at the table.  If we go out to eat, we must have a booth to keep you from escaping!  It drives your mama and daddy crazy!!!

Sleeping.  You are a good sleeper.  You still take a pretty good afternoon nap, but typically have to be rocked.  This is hard for your mama, but she gives in and rocks you because you need to sleep. At night, it takes you almost 45 minutes to go to sleep from the time I put you in your baby bed.  We are all in one room right now, so your daddy and I are hopeful that this will get better in your new room and new bed.  Once you finally go to sleep, you are a very good sleeper.

A few other things I don't want to forget...
  • You love books, magazines, newspapers, and circulars.  You typically go to sleep with two or   three books in your bed.
  • You are still a challenge in the vehicle.  Since you are still working on your words, you mostly scream from your car seat when you want something. This is very frustrating for me and your daddy, and obviously for you, too.
  • You are no longer interested in pajamas, however you ask to wear an undershirt and boxers like your big brother.  You call them, "daddy's shirt and bocker".  "Daddy's shirt" came from Lawson calling the undershirts "those shirts like daddy wears".
  • You have already realized that there are options with regard to what clothes you are going to wear.  You cry to wear a "daddy's shirt" every day when I dress you, and will refuse to wear shorts most days.  
  • You do not like socks nor shoes.  I bought new shoes because you wouldn't keep the others on, and I thought they were hurting your feet.  They were too small, but you won't keep the new ones on either.  
  • We threw away your boppies {pacifiers}today.  Literally.  You watched me throw them in the garbage can and we clapped.  I have been very reluctant to finally throw them away, but you quickly said, "bye-bye boppy", and that was that. 
  • You like to go to your brother's tee ball games, and you are all about the Moore's ballgame snacks.  Mom is going to have to repay them next week.
  • You have finally begun to remember/recognize our family and friends here in Tennessee.
  • You like going to church, and all the ladies in the nursery love you.  You always stay with the lady that I leave you with when I drop you off... I suppose you think that mama knows best. :)

That's all for now, Mr. Emmitt.  You are no longer Emmers... it doesn't fit you any more.  You are Emmitt.  And we love you.

Love,
Mama and Daddy

2 comments:

  1. He is just precious and looks so much like Lawson to me. I can relate to so much of what you wrote. He and Marshall would get along great in that Marshall is a tractor playing fool except Marshall isn't much for sharing either. His end of year report said and I quote "Marshall knows he is supposed to share. He just doesn't want to." Oh these boys are so much fun and I just love reading about yours. Time flies when you're having fun!

    I'm still embarrassed about mistaking you for Ginger at the PB Outlet. It was more that I didn't expect to see you here in Memphis but I've run into her plenty here. That very night I called an old sorority sister of mine by the wrong name. I'm blaming it all on mommy hood! It sucks the brainpower out of me!

    Happy birthday, Emmitt! Can't wait to see what the next year brings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Carla... Thanks for your kind comments, and you are one of many whom think he and L look alike; they are growing/changing every day it seems! And as to sharing - they are the second-born and are "normal", I suppose... shouldn't we take comfort in them being normal?! ha! They will figure out at some point in time, and hopefully E will get to go to school this fall, which will be a rude awakening for him, but good for him, all at the same time!

    And PLEASE do not worry about the PB Outlet... It was just so funny because I walked by M and thought, "how do I know that child?", and then I walked back by trying not to look "stalkerish", but taking a second look, only to then recognize your mom (from blog pics) and see J. It was neat to see the kids you read about and watch grow up on-line, and we've only met once before, so please do not be embarrassed! It's ok, I promise. ;)

    Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment... I love hearing from you!