The Bragg Family Blog

The Bragg Family Blog

Monday, July 18, 2011

The 4th of July

Independence Day was a very nice day.
It is a special day for us as Americans to celebrate our independence and to recognize those who have and who continue to fight for our freedom. 

Independence Day also has a special meaning for me and Russ.
We were engaged on Independence Day in 2002. 
I love the 4th of July.


Each year, my mother's side of the family has a family reunion picnic so we began our day with them and unfortunately only stayed about 30 minutes before the storm sent us back to the van.
It was nice to see aunts, uncles, cousins, and their children.
It was fun to share our children, too.
With us living away, it is easy for me to forget about my distant family not "seeing" our boys.
 It is also easy for me to forget how proud it makes you feel to share your children with others.

Can you imagine how proud the moms and dads of those fighting for our country must be?
Wow.

After our visit with the Plunk Family, we went to visit with my Dad and Ms. Anita, and her family.  Lunch was delicious and Lawson and Emmitt enjoyed playing with Abby, Sullivan, and Cary Allen.  They were so good with them and oh, so patient.  Mama B and Daddy Denton were also there and it was great to visit with them, too.

Later that night, we had dinner at Mr. Richard and Mrs. Jane's.  We enjoyed hamburgers and hotdogs with the trimmings, and then homemade ice cream for dessert.  It was very good.  All of that food seems to taste better on the 4th... or is it just me?

The food was really good... all.day.long. :)

We closed the night with FIREWORKS! 
I really enjoy fireworks.  I have fond memories of my dad taking me and my sister to buy fireworks and then having a big time shooting them with my family and cousins.  Fireworks brought a lot of fun to our house when we were growing up.

My mom went with us and let Lawson pick out whatever he wanted, and Russ picked up a few others.  My mom and Ms. Jane Hudgins joined us at Russ' parents for the firework show and it was very enjoyable.  Lawson wasn't scared this year and Emmitt didn't seem bothered in the least.  I was glad about that.

It was a fun, yet calm day.  It was just right.

Thank you, God, for this great country and for its independence. 
May you continue to bless us, and may we continue to look for you in each day.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry I'm late getting back to you! I hadn't checked my blog in a couple of days. How are you guys? Your boys are so beautiful! It's amazing how much life changes in a few short years.

    You two have moved and are now parents! And I'm married! I think back to when you lived in ND and I worked with you at the school. I loved Wednesday nights when I got to eat supper with you and Russ before church. Those are still some of my favorite memories!

    I can't wait to catch up on your lives! Say hi to Russ for me!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment... I love hearing from you!