The Bragg Family Blog

The Bragg Family Blog

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Firsts

Over the past month we've had a few "firsts" at our house...

Russ and Lawson attended their first Mizzou basketball game, along with one of Russ' customers and his son, who is three.  They went to the Stadium Grill for dinner and were then off to the game.  Russ said that Lawson sat the entire game, never asking to get up...  I think Russ was both pleasantly surprised and relieved. : )

Note his first Mizzou sweatshirt... on sale at Dillard's for $16.95, a "score" indeed!



The next note-worthy "first" is Lawson's big boy underwear... do you see them?  Woody and Buzz are upon his little backside in this picture. 



This picture was taken on day one.  Today is day twenty-two and he has done a great job!  I was very intimidated about potty training, but it has been much smoother than I would have ever expected.  I am thinking that the incentive of quarters for pee-peeing on the potty, and dollars for the "other" are to thank for the ease in this process.  Whatever it takes, right?!  Those rides at the mall and games at the grocery have been well-supported in the last few weeks.

If you are wondering about the blue ribbon, my mom made a strap from some remnants that I had for his drum so he could be in the marching band... we are clueless about what his future holds with regard to interests.  Sports? Music? Farming? Time will tell... he is very well-rounded at the moment.


On to Emmitt... in addition to his green beans, he discovered peaches and peas on this day.  I swear he will eat anything we put in front of him.  It cracks us up!


And more eating... as we have been painting, our house has been a continual mess!  This particular night I was searching for Emmitt when I found him under the table which was against the wall and covered with a drop cloth.  Apparently Lawson had eaten his Girl Scout cookies under the "tent" earlier in the day, leaving a few behind for our little garbage disposal.  He was thoroughly enjoying himself!




And lastly, for the first time ever, we purchased an organic product.  You see, ag chemicals and fertilizer have always put food on our table and a roof over our head.  We believe in them.  However, beggars can't be choosers, and amidst the grocery run before the blizzard this was all that was left.  $3.47/dozen and they were in our fridge... and they were also eaten.




And while I am posting this, I should explain our logic and concern with organically grown products, as you might be surprised.

1.  Many consumers believe that organic is healthier, but that is not always the case. When products are grown organically they are treated with "natural" products to enhance the productivity of the plant... one example of a natural product is manure which carries ecoli... definitely not healthier.

2.  By saying that organically grown products are better, is saying that non-organic products are not safe or are not good, which is incorrect. 

3.  The EPA and countless government agencies monitor the use of fertilizer and pesticides.

4.  Organically grown products commonly have a higher price tag with no greater value to us as consumers.

5.  And lastly, the use of modern technology in crop production, such as fertilizers and pesticides, is the only way we can continue to safely "feed the world"; organic producers cannot produce enough food to feed a growing world population... and I encourage you to remember that the United States' food production remains the safest and most abundant food supply in the world.

And with all of that said, I would like to add that Russ and I fully believe in the support of locally grown produce as it is a great food source and helps reduce the carbon footprint while supporting your local economy.  The food is also fresher as it has not spent time in transit. If you can shop at your local farmer's market and support your community then we hope you will do so... organic or not.  : )

And as to those organic eggs... they were great!

That's all for now.  With two growing boys, I'm sure there will be many more "firsts" to come.  Thanks for reading and enjoy the rest of your weekend!

2 comments:

  1. what a wonderful list of firsts!
    and i am sure that those boys will be sneaking more than girl scout cookies by you before too long!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emmitt looks so cute in these pics! And he looks like he is REALLY enjoying that cookie!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment... I love hearing from you!