The Bragg Family Blog

The Bragg Family Blog

Friday, December 3, 2010

Back to school... in Columbia!

Yesterday was a big day for Lawson!
He was so excited to be going back to school, and it sounds as though he had a great first day!


He will be going to school on Tuesday and Thursday mornings from 8:30-1:00.  It is a Mother's Morning Out program at a church here in Columbia.  It is in its 26th year and the same two ladies have been taking care of and teaching the children there for the past 26 years.  Isn't that impressive?  26 years!
 Their dedication and love for their work was evident the moment I stepped through the door and I am very excited about this opportunity.

We went for a visit on Tuesday as he was to start yesterday.  We arrived and as I was getting the boys out of the van another mom stopped to say hello, and she introduced herself and her little girl, telling me that we were going to love it there... an immediate feeling of comfort.  We finally got in the door, and I knew that she was correct... we were going to love it there!  Upon meeting his teachers, I knew immediately why they had been there for the past 26 years... they were bubbling over with excitement as they greeted the children!  Lawson also recognized it, and he didn't want to go home.  He told me to go home and come back to get him later.  I couldn't believe it!  His new teachers, Mrs. LeeAnn and Mrs. Glenna, scooped him up and loved on him making him feel welcome and that's all it took! 

He was very excited about the big day and had his lunchbox ready to go... they eat lunch together right before going home.  For lunch, he had ham, cheese, pretzels, and mandarin oranges... and juice to drink.  He chose a Buzz Lightyear lunch box.  He has grown to love Buzz and it cracks us up!

According to Mrs. Glenna, he had a great day... she told me that it seemed as though he had been with them for years, that he fit right in and went with the flow.  For that, I am thankful.  He has been out of school for almost three months, and I wasn't sure how he would do.  I am thankful that he had a good day.

He told me about his day, and here is what I got from him...

I raised my hand to say, "yes".
Mom, I didn't say "no" to my teacher. (Thank you, Lord!)
I didn't go to twime out, but that other girl did go to twime out because her wasn't listening.
Santa says "ho, ho, ho".
Did you sing songs?  No, mom, we don't sing songs at school! :)  (are you crazy, mom?! )
Did you read a book?  Yeah! And I raised my hand.
What did you have for snack?  crackers and juice
Who did you play with?  David

And I didn't get all of this from him at one time... I got it piece by piece throughout the afternoon.  I am glad he didn't go to time out, and I am glad he didn't say "no".  And as a teacher, I wish all children went to pre-school where they were taught to raise their hand... that would be a good piece of the dreamy classroom puzzle!

Below is his artwork from the day.  He DID wear clothes to school as seen before and he DID have them on when I got there to get him!  I promise he has clothes, however he rather go without them, and it isn't worth the fight.  I'm sure some of you understand! 




Before I close, I must say that I am extremely thankful he had a great 1st day at his new school.  I am, however, extremely embarrassed as I was late to pick him up.  I thought the program was from 8:30-1:30... I was 30 minutes late to pick him up, and I was not only embarrassed, but sad that he was there for 30 minutes as though he had been forgotten.  It took all I had not to cry as she continually told me not to worry about it.  Not just a few minutes late, but 30 MINUTES!!!!  Ugh.  No mom of the year award, for sure! 

I will be on time from now on... forever... I learned my lesson... always ASK what time to be back, even if you THINK you know!

More school memories to come, I am sure.

1 comment:

  1. lawson is such a good boy. i am glad to hear he enjoyed his new school. and also happy to hear that another GREAT mom was late for pick up. welcome to the club! we're still moms of the year :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment... I love hearing from you!