I believe it has happened.
The inevitable title, "mommy", has fallen upon me.
Since Lawson has been able to jabber he has said, "ma ma", which I love. Even in the stage of "ma ma ma ma" when there was no connection between me and his new sound, I still loved to hear him say "mama".
I wanted to be his "mama".
Julie Anne and I called our mother "mama" for many years. I never recall calling her "mommy", although I am sure we did, and to this day I will either call her "mama" or "mom".
I like the way mama sounds.
However, beginning this past Sunday, Lawson began to say "mommy", with a very long 'e' sound on the end... "mommeeee". They say "mommy" at school, and I just wrote it off as a one time thing.
Not so.
Over the past 48 hours, "Mommy" has become more and more a part of his vocabulary - - - more than mama.
Around 6:00 this morning, I heard "mommy!" LONG 'e' on the end as he was calling for me to come and get him... I knew then that I was going to officially be "mommy".
So it has been an adjustment to my ears, to say the least, but as we were asking him to say "mama" tonight and he would just smile and say "mommy!" with great excitement I decided that I would be whatever he wanted me to be and consider it a great honor... so, for now it is Mommy, not Mama.
he's growing up in his own little ways. can't the mama stage last forever?
ReplyDelete