The Bragg Family Blog

The Bragg Family Blog

Friday, September 10, 2010

Best said by Dr. Seuss...

... Oh, the Places You Will Go!

Russ has accepted a new role in his career and we are going to be moving... we're off to a new place!

Back in July, Russ was offered a new position and after much thought, consideration, and prayer, we have decided to move our family to Columbia, Missouri. He will be working for Mosaic in the fertilizer industry.

This was an unexpected opportunity and one that required MUCH thought and discussion. Russ and I have moved quite frequently throughout our seven years of marriage. Although frequent moves, or moving at all for that matter, were not part of our "plan" apparently it was God's and all things considered, we have done well with each move. Each move forced us to grow and learn in various capacities, and I wouldn't change it for the world. We are who we are, and where we are today, because of where we've been. I think that makes sense.

Now... grow and learn in various capacities is going to mean something different this time around, I am almost certain. This is the first move with children. With two children. With a two year old and a four month old. I am slightly overwhelmed to be perfectly honest.

We are excited, but our emotions are quite mixed. Our lifestyle is going to change.

First of all, we will be 5 hours from home vs. 3 hours from home. Our family is happy for us, but not thrilled with the location being farther away. This was one big part of the TOUGH decision on whether to move or not to move.

Secondly, Russ' new position will be one where he works from home. He will have a home office and will travel to various locations to work with clients. Most will be day trips with the exception of one account in Memphis. That trip will be a family trip with a drop-off in Martin. The boys and I will visit with family and he will pick us up on the way back through. Russ worked from home when we lived in North Dakota and really enjoyed it, but it was before children. :)

Lastly, I will be staying at home... IIIHHH!!! That statement makes my anxiety level SOAR!!! Mixed emotions... major mixed emotions. I have never had the desire to stay at home. The summer of 2008, the summer Lawson was born, was the first summer I didn't work. I do not enjoy hanging out at home, and simply said, I love what I do. I deeply love my two little boys, but I believe I am a better wife and mother when I work. Sooooo... I hope we've made the right decision as it will effect all of us. Yes, ALL of us. We will ALL be at home together each day... it is slightly laughable to me at this point. I certainly plan to go back to school next fall, but in the mean time, I certainly plan to make the best of it and am going to do all I can to enjoy each day that I am at home with Lawson and Emmitt. It is the dream of many women, and I realize that. It is also a blessing, and I realize that. I am going to give it my all and take the opportunity to love them up.

With that said, my last day of school was last Friday. It was kind of sad... kind of. I LOVE the girls I taught with, however my class was truly not so lovable. The toughest I believe I've ever had. I believe with ALL of my heart that this was God's plan. He knew what was arriving at my 3rd grade door. I honestly believe I might have quit before the 190 day-extended-school-year was up on June 9. It was hard. And I like hard, but not that kind of hard. So, one week down. One week with my boys. One tough week. :) Lawson is two and is out of routine so it has been tough for us. We have spent the week in Martin because Russ is in Missouri this week and it's been a struggle. We will return to a little normalcy next week as Russ will work from Evansville and the boys will finish their full-time daycare career for now. I plan to enroll Lawson in a Mother's Day Out program or part-time daycare. He NEEDS socialization and I don't want to rob him of that. He loves school and by today, I'm telling you that he NEEDS to go, and I NEED him to go! I have been researching daycare possibilities on-line today.

None of this has really sunk in just yet. The reality that I am not going back to Delaware Elementary to room 302 has not hit me. And that's ok. It might be too much at this point. To fully understand that I am going to be at home full-time with Lawson in the mood he has been in this week just might be too much. I will get there and it will be fine. Just fine.

As to the coming weeks... they are foggy. Very foggy. Russ' schedule differs from week to week, and somewhere in the midst of things we need to go on a house-hunting trip. Our house has been on the market for almost three weeks. We've shown it three times and have an Open House on Sunday. Talk about stressful and exhausting... keeping a house in "show-condition" with two little ones is almost impossible. That is why we are in Martin. We worked our backsides off getting it in pristine, sparkly condition and we left. Out of there! Hopefully, it will pay off. We know it is all in God's time. And finding a house is also stressful, but I trust that God will provide and that the perfect one is out there.

And speaking of "out there", Columbia is right between St. Louis and Kansas City. Smack-dab in the middle. The good news? The Lake of the Ozarks... sounds lovely! And St. Louis... we will be there next summer! We enjoy the Cardinals game, and have heard the zoo is really nice, as well as a few other things. I am excited about that!

We are off to a new place and it's going to be good. More to come as the fog slowly lifts... until then, pray for us and our boys (they probably need it more than we do). :)

4 comments:

  1. darn, selena. i was hoping you would say nashville and not columbia.

    i know your journey will be great. you and russ are lovable and optimistic people and God will take care of you. just view it as an adventure - one day at a time.

    and as for staying at home - go for it! and if it doesn't work, you can go back to work. few decisions are permanent.

    i can't wait to hear about your journey! i'll be praying for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats to you all! I can totally understand your hesitation both to move further away from your family and to stay home with the kids. I too love my job and while I also love my kids, I feel I'm a better mom when I can get away for some me time even if it is at work. Since you know it will only be for a year, enjoy them and I know you will! They grow so fast, especially when there's two to take care of! Can't wait to read where this road takes you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW Bragg family!!!! I am so shocked! We will most definitely be praying for you amist all of your changes! You are so right. God has a way of making things work out just the way they should, and everything will certainly work out the way that it should! Staying home is very challenging (particularly to a spirited 2-year old!...I can relate!), but you will learn so much about your sons and will cherish having spent some special time with them this year. It took us a couple of months to get on a really good schedule and learn how to "deal" with each other when I first started staying home, but then it has been more relaxed since. Lawson will learn to play on his own more while you get your chores done and such. Then when Russ isn't working in the evenings, you'll get to spend all kinds of time doing family things instead of chores and what we like is that I can help Sadie tell her daddy what she did each day. So in effect, Daniel feels more included in her life as well. It's nice....it's helped us grow as a family. There are definite negatives, but there are so many positives to look forward to as well! Keep your chin up....it will be a one year adventure for all of you that you can look back on in a few more years and laugh, treasure, and tell great stories about! Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Courtney, Carla, and Amanda,

    Thank you for your kind words and encouragement... Russ and I appreciate them very much! I will try to keep you all up to date on the progress of the move; we hope to go over to Columbia this week to look for a house. :)

    Thanks again!
    Selena

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment... I love hearing from you!